Monday, May 16, 2011

TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA


The Disney adaptation of the Jules Verne classic remains lively and exciting. One wishes that they hadn't had to make it kid friendly - the jigs and songs (and the adorable seal) distract somewhat from some surprisingly deep moral questions addressed throughout (the darkness is unsurprising, considering director Richard Fleischer's previous work on various films noir). That said, James Mason's a fine and driven Nemo, Kirk Douglas' energy is infectious, and the underwater scenes still play beautifully on the big screen. I'm kinda surprised that none of San Francisco's sizable steampunk contingent came to the screening - one'd think they'd be all over it.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched this movie (projected before the doors opened one day on the big screen of the arthouse cinema my lovely wife and I run together) and was pretty amazed at some of the dark corners they hinted at - as much as they could hint at considering. The ride was always one of my favourites as a kid going to Disney World, but until recently I had never seen the film.

    ReplyDelete